Fun Facts About Massage
Massage is regarded as one of the oldest, known to human, health care services. It was used in China, India, Japan and we can even see it on the walls of Egyptian tombs. Nowadays, it is one of the most present medical services providing relief to people all over the globe. Today, there are above 80 different types of massage treatments with emphasis on different body parts and type of treatment. Given the time when it was first practiced, it is no wonder that it is mentioned all over the course of history. Today, many interesting things can be discovered about this medical practice such as:
- Our skin is the largest organ on our body. It is used as a protection coat, for transferring heat and cold and for creating energy through sun. Naturally, it allows us to feel the effects of massage to its fullest.
- There are approximately 5 million touch receptors in skin and 3000 on tip of the finger.
- Each time when we get a massage, our brain receives the sensation because our skin cells send the nerve signal from skin to brain. Muscle nerve travel at speed of 390 feet per second, allowing us to feel everything in an instant.
- Whenever we get touched or when we receive a massage, our body released endorphins which are natural pain killers. There are certain massages that are done over clothes such as Canadian Deep Tissue Muscle Massage which is used only for pain relief. Besides the fact that the person is in full clothes, it is also necessary to be seated. Canada has numerous reputable spas such as Uptown Spa in Toronto.
- In Korea, only blind or visually impaired can practice massage.
- There are over 45,000 patents listed in European Patent Office for massage only.
- Elderly people that are performing massage on their grandchildren have higher self-esteem and they are less likely to suffer from depression based conditions.
- Lomi Lomi is another interesting type of massage originating from Hawaii. It is supposed to mimic the movement of the waves and hula-hula dance.
- Recently 1000 therapists from Indonesia gathered in order to massage 1000 people for 15 minutes which was the biggest group therapy ever.
- Interesting enough, touch is the first feeling that develops in the human body and also the last to fade away. Any type of touch can reduce the heart rate, it can lower chances for depression and lower blood pressure.
- When a body receives massage, it instantly gets relaxed and the stress level in body is reduced. Furthermore, 60 minutes of massage have same effect on your body like 7 to 8 hours of good sleep.
- Julius Cesar used massage as a cure for epilepsy.
- Massage, as a word, was used for the first time in England during 15th century.
- Manual Lymphatic Drainage is type of massage which is meant to regulate work of lymph within the body.
- Another interesting type of massage is Esalen Massage which is used to heal emotions.